Thursday, October 27, 2005

No Bang For The Buck!

It was 35 degrees this morning when I got out of my truck in Pine Mountain. I could feel the brisk night air before my eyes adjusted to the darkness. When my pupils dilated enough to capture and discern faint images, I could see patches of frost that captured the scant beams of light from distant galaxies.

From the powerline where I parked I had to walk through a canopied section of woods to a large field. Once in the tunnel of trees, I stopped and listened to the silence. It was dead still -- it was wonderful.

I left the strip of woods and entered a field that is over 300 yards wide. After following the eastern edge of the field for about 250 yards, I turned left across it to the tree stand. In less than 5 minutes I was sitting 12 feet above the ground, trying to will the sun out of bed. The horizon slowly faded from dark to light, and creation came awake as if on a timer. In an instant, the birds started twittering and the squirrels started their hissing; the silence was gone.

Conditions were perfect. No wind, drop in temperature, a lush food plot out in front of me. At 8:45 this morning, I saw my first deer of the season. It was at the far end of the field, slightly below where I came into the field. I lifted my 308 and scoped it. I turned my scope up on 10x and scoped it again. A buck with 7-8 inch spikes.

No bang for the buck!

No comments:

Post a Comment