Sunday, August 21, 2005

Milestone of the Century!

I did it! While in Maine, I took my first Century, or 100 mile, bike ride. Up to that point my longest trip had been a 67 mile ride I did alone, from Midland to Pine Mountain and back.

In five hours and forty-five minutes I pedaled 103 miles and did over five thousand feet of climbing! The only stop was 5 minutes to refill water bottles at mile 60.

My riding partner was my nephew, Ron, a semi-professional cyclist. Ron and I are very good friends and I have looked forward to riding a Century with him since I started cycling a few months ago.

The toughest part of the Century was between miles 55 and 60. We had to do a series of 3 difficult climbs. Each climb got steeper and longer. On the steepest, longest climb I didn't think I could make it. I got dizzy, couldn't seem to gulp enough oxygen, and my legs were screaming in pain. Ron coached me through it, "Find a rhythm and just keep moving forward." I literally put my head down and began to pound out a one-two-count. I pedaled, inhaled, and exhaled, in harmony. Finally, my revolutions began to pick up speed and I was at the top. The last 40 miles were exhilarating and believe it or not -- easy!

Ron said it was a challenging course and that I earned my stripes.

As I rode into camp, I yelled at the top of my lungs -- "The Milestone of the Century -- I did it!"

1 comment:

  1. Dear Bill,
    Anna and I have been wayching the news about the devastation and displacement in New Orleans. The need is Great! We can do very little with limited means. She wants to invite a family to come live with us. This we could do and with very modest meals afford to feed several more mouths.
    Together as the Body of Christ we could do a lot! ... especially if we include a few mega churches like 1st Woodstock.
    What are your thoughts? Would you pray with us for God's leading? As a church... as The Church, a city or Nation we could step up to meet the need. As Believers we could do so with His Light guiding them in the path of salvation. Will we place our light under a basket or shine it from the mountain for all to see?
    Just a thought?
    Shalom b'Yshua,
    Ric Smith
    329-4553

    cc PianobyAnna@CS.com
    Cinpatrick@mchsi.com

    ReplyDelete