Sunday, July 31, 2005

Camping and Cotton Batting

On Friday night we camped out at Whitewater Express campground with 20 college age adults and their leaders. Sandy, Meagan, and I didn't arrive until about 8:30 p.m. I immediately set up a two person tent for my girls; my plan was to sleep under the stars.

We brought firewood with us and soon were adding dry wood to the rain soaked pile of brush that had been collected. Zach brought MRE's and showed us how they are prepared; steaming hot food without a fire (Zach is an army Ranger. MRE stands for meals ready to eat).

Once the sky grew dark and the fire burned bright, one of the guys led us in some worship songs; two guitars accompanied the chorus of voices. The intended Bible study never got finished. First, we felt a couple of raindrops. Next, we heard the rain coming in windswept torrents. The weather front scaled the mountain tops, and then battered the leafy trees on its descent into the valley where we were camped. Everyone scrambled for their tents. I grabbed my sleeping gear and threw it into the truck.

An hour or so later, the rain left. People once again gathered where there used to be a campfire. We coaxed the surviving embers back into a flame and cooked some hot dogs, s'mores, and biscuits on a stick. Between midnight and 1 a.m. most of us turned in.

I retrieved my gear from the truck, covered up with a WWII poncho, and drifted off to sleep. Around 4 a.m., I awakened to admire the beautiful night sky. I saw diamonds appear and disappear amid piles of cotton batting.

No comments:

Post a Comment