Monday, April 18, 2005


As we left the village, I remember looking over my shoulder and wondering, "Was the soil ready for the seed we have just sown?" The country we were in is violently opposed to Christianity. In fact, since arriving home I have read in The Voice of the Martyrs of many atrocities against believers there.

How costly would our obedience to "go into all the world" be to those we went to?

We marched on for hours. At another village, a couple of the Roadmakers joined some kids in a game of volleyball. In this game, the volley was done using feet and head only. The young players could kick a ball that was a couple of feet above their heads! Brad and Evan picked up the sport quickly and were fully engaged in friendly competition. I chose to be a spectator, but I did so with much envy!

Finally the dirt road turned to pavement. A couple of young men on bicycles approached us; one of them spoke English very well. We got a great laugh from one of his questions. He had met another American, a professor from one of our many universities. He asked us, "Do you know Tom?" I guess he didn't realize that there were probably hundreds of Toms teaching in hundreds of different universities.

It started to rain and fatigue set in. On that day many of us had walked over twenty miles. Also, due to a number of logistical complications, we hadn't eaten since early that morning.
There was no turning back and there was no Burger King or McDonald's! We pressed on.

A road sign told us that the town we sought was only 3 kilometers. Don't you know it -- the place we were to stay that night was on the other side of town. We walked another 3 miles. We got to the hostel and it was full; we experienced a deeper appreciation for Mary and Joseph!

The hostel attendant pointed up the street to a place where we could get some food. We stepped into the wet, pitch dark night, and headed out. Finally, some food! Once again, Frank deciphered the menu, talked to the cook, and helped us order something that we were sure was fully cooked. The risk of food poisoning was always factored into those decisions.

Bill R. found us some rooms; he was the hero that night. Most of us slept off the ground on boards covered by a layer of fabric. We pushed out of our minds the question that plagued us, "When was the last time this bedding was cleaned?" At 11:15 p.m., I was out like a light.

Bill R. stayed up most of the night keeping rats off Evan and Brad while they slept!

The next 24 hours would be the wildest any of us have ever spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment