Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Small Things

"Who despises the day of small things?" Zechariah 4:10

Navigating through many different scriptures this morning I ended up in the book of Zechariah. Once I started reading I couldn't put it down. When I got to chapter four the verse above grabbed my attention. I looked down at the footnotes and read, "day of small things. Some thought the work on the temple was insignificant...but God was in the rebuilding program..."

I knew God was going to meet me there.

I have been worrying about small things! Why? Because just about everyone despises them! We all live in a world where results are expected immediately and "mega" is mecca! We don't like small things -- even in the realm of faith. We "despise the day of small things!"

I am headed into an adventure with God. Many others are joining with us and making a huge investment. It is not a significant financial investment, but it is an investment of time, trust, and faith that for us is epic. When God chooses to bless our obedience and start something -- it could be so little -- it may be years before it is visible to the eyes.

Not long from now we will return from our journey, footsore, fatigued, and spiritually bruised. We will have walked many miles praying and nervously looking over our shoulders. Once home, we will wait for reports from "eyes on the ground." In God's time an embryo of spiritual life will struggle forth and thrive in a spiritually hard and barren place!

Never again will we "despise the day of small things"

No comments:

Post a Comment